December 19, 2009

PNG, Stay Left Right Turns, and 90 degree White Xmas


Hokay!
So gather around boys and girls for Jason's Story time. I have much to tell, and seeing that its five days until Christmas there is no better time to get a cup of Wassel (Shout out to Palmer Lake) and read some PNG, Ausie stories!

First things first. PNG. It's hard to put into words. But using the best word invented, and to make my Uncle Lars proud, it was AWESOME! Flying into Geroka, I was looking out the window of our tiny little plane, and my mouth dropped! Holy crap I thought to myself this place is so freaking pretty! We landed the plane, and after getting out and picking our bags up at baggage claim, which was a big table on the side of the run way, I looked around, the air was fresh, crisp, it was cool, everything was green, giant pine trees! Tears filled my eyes as I said, "God this is where I belong!" And that was just the first ten Minutes!

Our three weeks was really encouraging, we spent a lot of time in small little villages, that had no running water, or electricity, we would sleep in the typical, Highland Round hut, which are big circular huts, with a fire pit in the middle. Every village we went to went above and beyond with welcoming us. There was lots of dancing, and singing, and feasting. It was so special! The people of PNG are so beautiful, have such wonderful hearts! The message I found myself saying over and over again, was how special all of them were, and how much they have to offer not only the people around them but the entire world! Telling them there was something incredibly special about their country and them as a people!

There were so many moments throughout the three weeks, that I turned to my team and said, oh my gosh I feel like I'm in the middle of a movie right now! Haha one village we walked to had an actual real life tree house! How cool is that, we all kept saying, um are we in Never Never land! Where is Peter Pan? Or Froto from the Lord of the rings?

Because the Land is so fertile in PNG the people, aren't starving, which is great. However they are still incredibly poor. There is major needs for education and health care within the country, which made us excited about the efforts kicking off with the Australia PNG ship tour! Because thats a huge focus.

Overall the trip was extremely humbling, encouraging, and so special. My team did amazing and I really felt like I grew a ton during the time!

Being back in Australia has been good, Matt and I have really been missing Colorado for Christmas, we had a strange experience last weekend, when we went down to the beach. The city put on a huge Christmas Carol event, so here Matt and I are showering on the beach, the ocean on one side, Palm trees above, with 10,000 people singing "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" It was a bit strange.

As Matt mentioned the two of us got our sweet Australian Drivers License. My first drive was a bit terrifying, I was as Matt said, thrown to the wolves for my first right turn. Lets just say, with the shifting being with the opposite hand, turing the windshield whippers on full blast instead of the turn signal, and having to take a right turn while driving on the left side of the road, ended up with me, driving on the wrong side of the road!!! My driving instructor Whato calmly said, woah woah woah, and I veered back over into my lane. Haha but all is safe, and I am becoming much more comfortable driving on the opposite side. Just have to keep remembering to stay wide on the right turns!

Other than that, it's hot, like really hot, like 93 degrees with awful humidity hot. Born and raised in Colorado Jason Phillips is starting to get a bit kooky with no snow and cool weather, and Christmas stuff everywhere. All that to say keep soaking up the cold, drink some delicious chai or coffee for me!

I have so much more to say and tell, but that'll do for now! Hopefully everyone is doing great! I miss all of you! So much! Life is great, and as I said in previous blogs, my time here has been so good for me, Matt and I know we are suppose to be here and learning so much!

Oh and I'm working on pictures!! They should be up soon, and I'll let you all know ASAP!

Merry Merry Christmas!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment