December 17, 2009

Matt's PNG Recap!

It's been just under a week since returning from Papua New Guinea (PNG). On one hand, I miss spending time with my teammates and experiencing some pretty crazy cultures. But then again, it sure is nice to return to our base at Reef to Outback for the Christmas season. It's not quite like being home for the Holidays, but it will do!

My team of 10 had a terrific time in PNG. We spent one week in a village called Bereina (a 5-hr truck drive from the nation's capital, Port Moresby) where we stayed at a Pastor's house and connected great with the community. The picture above is of me playing guitar with some friends in Bereina. Our typical day consisted of walking or driving to different areas within the village and developing relationships with the people. Sometimes we would visit schools, other times we would the local hospital. By the evening, our team would prepare a "program" and present it to the village. Each program usually had testimonies, funny skits, serious dramas, worship, and a gospel message tied together. Sometimes our programs were lighthearted, and other times they were very powerful. But regardless, the PNG people were always sooo thankful for our presence. They truly are beautiful people. Below is a picture of me and Jess leading worship at a Saturday morning market in Bereina.



After our time in Bereina, we traveled to Hisiu village, a nice coconut village located right on the ocean! At Hisiu, we had a never-ending supply of coconuts and seafood. Again, the people treated us like royalty. Every meal was provided, although my stomach couldn't handle seafood by the end of the trip. We even had a formal tribal dance with all the people in the village on the last night! The elders of the community sang "prophet songs" (honoring the prophets of the Old Testament) and the younger community dressed up in grass skirts, face-paint, and flower crowns and taught us some ceremonial dances. It was probably the craziest and most bizarre night of my entire life! At one point, a man came up to me and pulled out a a small bag filled with a white, powdery substance. I thought, "Oh No! We are about to take drugs together!" But to my relief, it was only baby powder, and he wiped it on my face for some reason that I never discovered... Anyways, I couldn't help but laugh out loud several times that night and think to myself, "What am I doing with my life!" Below is a picture of our team that night.



By the end of the trip, our team ministered to over 5,000 Papua New Guineans, and saw about 100 dedicate (or re-dedicate) their lives to Christ! But even more special was the connections we developed, and the people that we got to pray for. At the end of our time in both villages, lines of people would come shake our hands, and most woman would be crying. One lady even commended our team for doing our dishes after every meal! She said that a common stereotype among the PNG people is that white people don't know how to do dishes... Um you can insert your own funny comment here...

This missions trip was unlike any I had ever been on! But as I mentioned, it's wonderful to be back "home" to our Reef to Outback base. I have to hand it to the staff here, because they know how to celebrate Christmas. We have a party every other night it seems like! This is very good, because I'm starting to miss family/friends right now more than ever. Love you all!

-matt

1 comment:

  1. Matt,

    We miss you too. Enjoy this time, it is gone all too fast. You will miss it when you return. Reading your stories makes me miss what a unique and adventurous time of life YWAM was for me. Remember to be bold, and do what you think you ought to! For us it looked like being involved in town, like at the skate park, or planning trips on free days even though it was not in the schedule. Soak it up, get all you can out of this time, and give even more.

    kissses!

    -Bobby

    ReplyDelete