October 16, 2009

Fresh Bread, Neon Vests, and A TIM TAM SLAM

Hello my people!!! Oh how Matt and I miss you all. A few days ago I showed him a picture Alex emailed me of her and Matt's sister Brooke working together at the Dermatology clinic. Matt ripped the phone out of my hand and put it to his heart, made the saddest looking puppy face I have ever witnessed and then began to let out a whimper. That's right Matt Howard is a wimpererrrrr (sp?) I am too when it comes to missing all my friends and family back at home. Don't get me wrong, life is pretty swell down here, were not complaining, just know that you are all missed!! Ok that's enough sappy stuff. On to more deep spiritual things!

For instance, an interaction I had with a local Ausie in the Mall. It was Sunday evening, hot, we had escaped to the mall which is a ten minute walk down the road. Matt and I were on a search for various items, towels, shampoo, etc. Anyhow, I saw the local baker shop throwing all of his loaves of bread into a large trash bag. I ran across the mall, literally ran. And grabbed a few pieces of loaves off his shelf, and said. Why are you throwing these away! Its perfectly good bread! Turns out he wasn't throwing them away, and a lady popped her head up and asked if I would like to buy them. I said no thanks and walked away feeling like a doofus! Awkward!!

Some, turns out moments...

Turns out Scottish people sound exactly like the people in Braveheart... go figure.

... the people from England really do drink tea, all the time. Matt is slowly caving in. I on the other hand have officially made my way to the dark side. A straight up black cup of coffee no longer taste like dirt, its just pure goodness. And helps me stay awake after my olympic run and workouts at 6:00 in the morning.

... I learned you don't stare too long at Ausie men dressed in funny looking neon yellow vests while in their cars, or they will really angrily tell you to eff off and give you the middle finger. Yet another awkward interaction.

... They have this crazy contraption drink thing called a Tim Tam Slam. You bite off two corner ends of a piece of chocolate that is hollow inside, you then dip it in coffee and quickly drink through it, then drop the entire thing in your mouth and it melts. Its quite delicious. So I finally had the opportunity to try one during morning tea! I nailed it perfect. I was so pumped that I threw my hands in the air and yelled! Yes I just did a CAR BOMB!!! I quickly realized when everyone's eyes lit up, that I had yelled the wrong drink. Oh dear... haha
In all seriousness its been great. Being around people all the time is taking a little bit of getting used to. But it helps that everyone really are Rockstars. My team is awesome, and continue to be blown away by the leadership. I have been learning a lot. Mostly that God is faithful, that His love really can change lives, and go figure that the Bible has some pretty cool stuff in it!

Well... I'll do a TIM TAM SLAM for all ya all's back home! love love love

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I laughed so hard when Jason yelled that he just slammed a CAR-BOMB (which of course is a shot of Bailey's Irish Creme dropped in a glass of Guinness beer)!! We literally looked around to see if anyone noticed his "freudian slip" and sure enough, EVERYONE heard... Which in turn made us both laugh even harder! That's one for the record books :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have ACTUALLY HAD a Tim-Tam Slam! Wife K learned it from pals (Aussies) and she got the necessary items and we dipped/ate out on a park bench in Malibu. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete