October 8, 2009

Brisbane, Australia: We made it!

After eating a great deal of In-N-Out, surfing in San Diego, watching sunsets, and being spoiled by our friend Mark Johnson, Matt and I hopped on a plane from LAX and headed down under!

We are officially safe and sound in Brisbane, Australia. Right now, Matt and I are sitting at a downtown Starbucks which is my safe place.

On the plane, Matt seemed thrilled about his new iPod. He spent some time with the big man and listened to worship music, read his bible and wrote in his journal. I, on the other hand, slipped away and drank a double Jack & Coke right before the flight and then laughed my butt off while watching The Proposal.

After an amazing sunrise, we landed like a feather in Brisbane. Since our ultimate destination is Townsville (a 2-hr plane ride North of Brisbane), we contemplated what to do in Brisbane to kill a full day layover. After customs, I immediately grabbed a Latte, while Matt read about deadly snakes. Our original plan was to stay in a hostel and bum around downtown, but all of sudden I spotted a guy holding a YWAM sign (YWAM is the discipleship school that Matt & I will be partnering with in Townsville). That's when things got interesting!

Matt was away grabbing money from an ATM, so I was left with a hefty decision: leave our luggage and track down the guy, or continue to supervise like Matt told me. I made the responsible decision. I jumped out of my chair and left the luggage behind! Of course I had my eye on it the whole time, but I made my way to the guy holding the sign and asked if we could stay at their base. Sure enough, we will be staying at the lovely Brisbane YWAM tonight and enjoying dinner with their team! How cool is that? This is a great reminder to us that God's got his hand on our trip!

2 comments:

  1. Us YWAM people LOVE to give places to stay! So awesome that you ran into him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE YOUR COMMENTARY Jason! I'm chuckling and am "enjoying" the trip with you. Love you both so much.

    ReplyDelete